Sunday, November 27, 2011

Over the Edge

The Cliffs of Etretat - Zois Shuttie

I won’t go to his funeral, not after the way he treated me. I had loved him so much, I showered praise and gifts and love on him and after what he did to me there was no way I’d go to his funeral.

It had all started the summer beforehand we’d met in a bar; he was so handsome tall, strong with a million dollar smile. We’d hit it off the second we’d met, he loved modern art too and all the same films as I did, it was almost too good to be true. We talked until the bar closed, then we walked down to the cliffs and looked out over the ocean, he took his jacket off and put it around my shoulders, and we talked until the sun came up and as it did we had our first kiss. Things progressed from there, but in warp speed, we were so in love, we spoke every day and had dates every night, we talked about our future together. One night a few weeks later we went back to the cliffs, we had a midnight picnic and a blanket, and champagne. It was a magical night, we made love for the first time and that’s when I knew we would be together forever.
The next day he didn’t call the first time in 3 weeks. Was he sick? Had he been in an accident?  I called his number but I got his voice mail service, I left a cute message. A day passed, and then two. I was frantic! Why wasn’t he answering his phone, and my emails? Something terrible must have happened to him he would never completely ignore me in this cold way. A week later I got a call, he seemed nervous; he wanted to meet at our special place on the cliffs. I was excited I prepared another picnic bought a bottle of expensive wine, and sexy new underwear. My heart was leaping as I made my way to the cliffs as I came up I could see him standing there in the silvery moonlight. I smiled, he turned and smiled back. He had something to tell me…in our most romantic place…was he going to propose after only a few weeks? My heart was racing I could hardly breathe, we had some wine, and made love, then he stood up and he told me what he wanted to say… it was over. Things were going too fast. He needed space. He was sorry.
I couldn’t believe the words coming out of his mouth. He’d just drunk my expensive wine and had sex with me and then this………….?! And he said it all so coolly as if it was nothing to him. I felt the indignation the humiliation the rage building up inside me. I leaped up and charged him, he side stepped and I felt his hand on my back he pushed me, I tumbled forward towards the edge of the cliff. I felt my footing slip, the ground gave way underneath my feet I called out his name as I fell.

It wasn’t long before I started following him, within 2 weeks he was back at the bar we had met at, hitting on a small petite blonde. I watched them as they laughed and smiled as he pulled all the same moves on her. When the bar closed he took her to the cliffs. To our special place!! They watched the sun come up as I watched them. How could he do this to me?
My heart was breaking as I followed them he took her to all the places he’d taken me he even bought her the same butterfly necklace and they made love in our special place. That is when I decided it was time for revenge.
He went through his little routine much the same as with me and when it came to the night I knew he would break up with her, I waited in the trees.
She came all happy and full of hope, expecting a wonderful date with her fantastic boyfriend. The story pretty much played out the same way, except he told her that  he wasn’t ready for another relationship so soon after me, he was sorry but he hoped she understood, she was quiet and stunned yet understanding, she left tears in her eyes.
So this was it, he chose a girl had some fun with her for a while, and when he was done he threw her away and went on to the next victim, what a bastard. Someone needed to teach him a lesson!!
He stood in the moonlight, whistling to himself, I hated him I loved him still but I hated him too at the same time. I stepped out of the shadows into the light, I called his name, he turned to look at me…his reaction was almost comical…at first my presence didn’t register and then a  look of disbelief, and then horror, he made a squawking sound that almost made me laugh. I advanced on him… as I did he began to take steps back, shrieking.  He lost his footing and fell to the ground he scrambled backwards, and disappeared. I stood at the edge of the cliff and watched his body splayed on the rocks below….
So no I won’t go to his funeral…why should I, he never came to mine.

4 comments:

  1. I saw this on your Twitter thread.Wow what a great story, short, detailed right to the point and kinda creepy. I love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone directed me to this story after someone else sent them a link and I can say I would pay to read something of his quality. Have you written anything longer or do you have other short stories I would love to read some. All the best, Suse

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good effort. Bit dark though.

    ReplyDelete